Friday, August 7, 2009

Oweeee!

OK. So that run last night didn't go as planned. I'm sitting here this morning really really sore. Sore quads and sore adductors. I mean to the point where I'm having trouble lifting my legs. It's nothing serious, but at this point in my training it is pretty annoying.

I took off for an 11 mile run around the Back Bay a little after 6:30 last night. I was still sore and tired from my interval workout the night before, so my plan was to take it easy. I knew that regardless how fast I wanted to go, my body had other ideas. So, I settled in at a comfortable pace and headed into the wind. Nothing Earth shattering about this run. Until about mile 9 that is.

There is just something about me and the Back Bay. Face it - at this point in my training cycle, 11 miles should be a pretty standard run. But, the last three or four times I've run the loop around the bay, I seem to die somewhere along the route. Last night it was mile 9. I'm sure it had to do with tired body to begin with, a lack of proper fueling during the day, and just the late end to a long day (up at 5AM). But by mile 9 I had slowed to a crawl, and my calves started cramping. I shuffled along best as I could (remember - I don't carry a cell phone) and toughed it out for the last couple of miles to the car. Ouch!

The good news is that I finished at an average pace of 10:34 and an average heart rate of 80% of max. The bad news is that everything after mile 9 was done at a mind numbing 13:00 pace. Yech. One thing for sure - this marathon training business knows how to keep me humble!

On the schedule today - rest. And based on how I'm feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sad that I can't run back bay any more...enjoy running in CA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that was a rough one. Do you take anything for the pain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn- I'm glad you are taking a rest day...you're running is so amazing and you definately want to stay injury free. Just take it easy today and tommorow you'll probably wake up and feel like a new man! ; - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouch! I know how your adductors feel - the day after my HM I couldn't lift my right leg! Hope your rest day helps you out - enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soreness is no fun! Hopefully you will feel better after the rest!

    That is cool about your daughter! It would be cool to be able to listen to music while i swim. I definitely would do that. I dont know why i feel I would listen to music while swimming when i never do on runs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a tough run. Good to hear that you got back to the car ok.

    Do take care of your body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the sore muscles! I'm finishing a race report from last weekend where I had the same thing going on - it's rough. I'm def jealous that you get to run in Back Bay though. I miss Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why don't you carry a cell phone? I am lost on a long run w/o mine -- sometimes literally. Hope to DOMSS is a little better today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you are enjoying your rest day! way to push through those last two miles. i'm wondering if the soreness is from jumping back into it after all those days off? take it easy today and have a good, soreless run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a tough run! I hope you had a good rest day and that your next run is a fab one!

    ReplyDelete