Sunday, October 4, 2009

Five More Miles - Winding It Down

I just wanted to stop by on a Sunday for quick update. I put in an easy 5 miles yesterday. The weather seems to be cooperating this weekend - even though it was a brilliant, sunny day, the temperatures were in the mid to upper 60s. Perfect for a run along the coast.

The realization is setting in. The long training journey is almost over. Yup. One more week. Then it's time to collect my reward. It's MY reward. For MY hard work (sorry for being selfish!)

If there is one huge difference between this marathon and my first marathon - this time I *really* could care less about my finish. Yes - I have a time goal. But that is secondary to enjoying myself. And as long as the weather is nice (and right now the extended forecast is saying so), I will do that.

Yessiree. I am ready. Ready to be allowed to join my fellow runners who deserve to reap the rewards for THEIR hard work. I think I'm beginning to understand the lure of the marathon.

7 comments:

  1. You are going to have a great marathon...I just know it and there is nothing selfish in seeking that kind of reward (after all, we all get to enjoy it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ready!

    There is something to be said about enjoying the ride. As our coach always says "It's not the destination but the journey," or something like that.

    I'm looking forward to the marathon report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice attitude, you're going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like everything is ready than. I have decided if I don't meet at least 5 new friends at these events - no reward. You will do well and have fun while doing it. Just let it Be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're not being selfish, you've put in the work! it's your marathon. now if you try to steal mine... that's another story.

    enjoy the final week! the end of a marathon-journey is always a little sad to me, but also very exciting, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glenn- This is SO EXCITING!!! I know you are going to thoroughly enjoy yourself! Praying you stay healthy and injury free and have a fabulous experience for your marathon!!! Christine

    ReplyDelete