Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Running Fail

"Welcome back to class after the weekend! Mr. Jones - would you like to share with the class what you did this weekend?"

"Ummm. Nothing?"


Yup! That was me! Weekend running FAIL! I got up Saturday morning ready to do my seven miles. But this cup of coffee started calling me - "Oh Glenn! Oh Glennnn! Why would you want to leave the warmth and comfort of the comfy chair when you can have my yummy deliciousness?" Needless to say, Mr. Coffee was quite persuasive.

Then, Sunday. More of the same. Except this time it was the pumpkin pancake mix calling from the pantry. Then I went outside for a classic Southern California fall day. Sigh.


It all came to a head when I got on the scale last night. Double sigh. I'm up three pounds since Long Beach. Which isn't too bad considering how much I've been eating, no, inhaling, the past couple of weeks. Which really points out why I need to get back to the trails. So, after my pathetic 11 mile week, I'll get back on track this week:

Monday: 4 miles GA. Stretching and core afterwards.
Tuesday: Intervals on the track. I believe this week will be 2 X 1200, 1 X 800. 6 miles total.
Wednesday: 4 miles GA. Stretching and core afterwards.
Thursday: 3 X 1600 with 400 active rest. 2 mile warm up, 1 mile warm down. 6.75 miles total.
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 8 miles GA
Sunday: 35 minute tempo (about 3.5 miles)
Total: 32.25 miles

I also need to get back to calorie tracking. In the past, I've used SparkPeople with good success. When I started training for Long Beach, I put the calories counting on the back burner. Now that the mega miles are over for a while, it's time to get back on the counting wagon. My goal is to drop about 10 pounds between now and the end of the year.

I was all ready to get started up with SparkPeople again when a tweeter told me about a similar iPhone app. I thought that using an iPhone app would not only be cool, but would be super convenient. So I downloaded and started playing with the app. What I found just blew me away!


The app is called Lose It! and is in the app store. As with any other calorie tracking app, you are directed to some goal screens, where you enter gender, birthdate, current weight, goal weight and goal date. The program then calculates your calorie budget and you're ready to go!



The program is easy and intuitive. Entering a food from the very comprehensive food database is simple and intuive.





Not only are there the standard foods (e.g., bread, milk, eggs, etc.) but food are also categorized by manufacturer - like in this search for Grandma's Oatmeal cookies:



Then, what absolutely blew me away? A entire database of restaurant food! I can enter my In-n-Out Double-Double!


So now I have no excuse to not track my calories, unless of course I decide to stop carrying my phone. And the best part? This application is free!!!!!

So despite my weekend running FAIL, I'm ready to get back on track here this week. Hopefully Mr. Coffee won't waft his aroma my way for a few days.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this up, I too am looking to drop a couple of pounds between now and the end of the year. I am going to download this app right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is very cool and yet another reason to get an iPhone. Glad you are getting back on track. I would say that the last week is not that big of a deal. You deserved a little break. And my Mr Coffee sounds just like that too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because you didn't run doesn't make this weekend a fail. Pumpkin-flavored pancakes are most assuredly a great win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just found a pumpkin protein drink at Henry's, pumpkins are everywhere. I've never tried pumpkin pancakes though!
    I think I'd rather have an iPhone over a new heart monitor...I think that app is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister-in-law uses that app and she loves it. She's lost 25 pounds so far. :)
    And don't worry about an off weekend (I had one too)...it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LoseIt is THE BEST. Elsie lost about 25 lbs by tracking her food intake (and now she almost refuses to eat white rice. Do you KNOW how many calories are in a cup of white rice?) 242? I'd rather have a glass of wine (or two)...it's all about balance, right?

    Anyway, a weekend of relaxing ain't no big thing. I think you're still in recovery mode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...and thanks to you, I bought the pumpkin pancake batter from TJs this weekend...GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That app looks really cool and easy to use!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have been needing to get back to calorie counting... it works for me, as in i drop some pounds, but i haven't been too dedicated lately. (which is why i'll be lining up in nyc on sunday with 8 or so extra pounds) sigh. i have the lose it app... it's pretty good, but i just can't light my own fire lately! so, good luck!

    oh yeah, and i had an 11-mile week DURING marathon training so don't feel bad ;)

    ReplyDelete