Sunday, December 13, 2009

Another Wet Day

Yesterday was a rare day in Southern California - a wet, rainy day. For those who are uninitiated in the ways of Southern California, one thing we *do not* deal well with is wet. We average about 15 inches of rain a year. Let me repeat that - a year. That means that wet stuff falls from the sky maybe 12 days a year. That means that we don't know how to do things that the rest of the country deals with on a regular basis, like, oooooh, running in the rain.

So, I dressed snug and warm and headed out the door to meet up with my Saturday morning running group. I was immediately greeted by water dropping from the sky. Not just a mist, but a cold, soaking rain. Decision time. It was actually a pretty easy decision. 13 miles isn't going to make or break me at this point, and the thought of being wet and soaked to the bone was not at all appealing.
So, instead of running I retired to my rowing studio (aka garage), and proceeded to row 8 kilometers with a 5 min warm up, 16 min at 22 spm, 3 min rest, and 16 min at 26 spm workout. Hmmm. I ended up soaked anyways.

On the plan for Sunday - 6 miles at marathon pace. Unless I wake up and it's not raining. Then I may do a 10K for fun....

10 comments:

  1. Rowing?! Hmmm, I'd like to hear how it helps with cross training. Color my interest piqued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think I am the only freak who loves this weather-well not right now because the sun is out again!!

    I'm glad you raced the santa 10K this morning even though you went out too fast! Still a great race-looking forward to reading your race report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this rain!! I was sort of hoping it would rain for my 5K yesterday. :)

    I like using the rowing machine. I wish I had one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry the run didn't pan out...we tried to go out at about 2 pm and just as we got home, it poured! Today, no problems but it was wet on the road! I heard they cancelled the X-terra or postponed it until January...to muddy?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. that's crazy that you don't get much rain at all! some times it's nice and refreshing to run in.... sometimes.

    seems like we are both sparking some interest in the ol' ergometer ;) well, mostly you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "rowing studio"- that's hilarious!

    Grrrrrr to rain. It's the pits. Especially when it's cold. What's going on with that?

    Hope it brightens up for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the shoes -- I know you like the 2150s, but I wanted to mention that The Sports Authority has the 2140s marked down to $70.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though we get lots of rain here, I only like it in the summer! Other wise it is COLD!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rainy weather too, especially running in it. You never feel too warm, or too dry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't mind running in the rain if I was prepared for it. I have no rain gear, other than an umbrella. I don't think trash bags count as rain gear.

    Love the Christmas blog header!

    ReplyDelete