Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Countdown Continues

Sorry if I keep on tooting my horn here, but this is getting exciting. After my three miles yesterday (in the hills of Shady Canyon, 8:59 average pace, 80% of MHR), SportTracks is telling me I'm 28 miles short of my goal for the year:




Talk about motivating! On the schedule today is an eight mile tempo run - 1 mile warm up, 6 miles at 10K pace, 1 mile warm down. Then a 10 miler on Saturday, 7 on Sunday and 3 on Monday. Fireworks bells and whistles! Then I'm taking a few days off to let my knee rest.


Yup. I'm only six weeks into this training cycle and I'm already reaching for the bailing wire (*) and duct tape to hold things together. For the past few weeks I've been suffering from a pretty mean case of tendinitis in my right knee (it was one I injured impersonating an athlete in High School). Funny thing is the knee bothers me more getting into and out of a chair than it does when I'm running. But, I'll heed the wishes of my wife and give it a couple days rest in an attempt to avoid anything more serious.


If we don't talk before tomorrow - Merry Christmas to you and yours!!


(*) Note: For all of you young'uns out there, bailing wire was the crazy glue of my parent's generation.

Anything that broke from overuse could be patched together using bailing wire and duct tape! Wheelbarrow frame break? No problem. A little wire here, a little tape there. Shovel handle break? No problem, drill a hole here, a little wire there. Car won't start? Just wire that choke open. Car? Choke? Now I'm really showing my age.....

4 comments:

  1. Bailing wire huh? Never heard of it. Can I use it as an ace bandage? ;)

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the tooting of your horn -- it's more evidence that training actually works.

    My FIL held his car engines together with bailing wire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailing Wire. I use it all the time. That and safety wire. But anyways, Great job on your coming along and training. and.........Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...yeah never heard of it ;)

    merry christmas to you and your family! hope you had a wonderful holiday. less than 28 miles to go by now!!

    ReplyDelete