Thursday, February 4, 2010

Accelerated Taper

I whipped out a 10 kilometer rowing session last night. Tonight I'm putting in an easy five mile run and with that, my countdown to Surf City on Sunday begins. Call it mini taper. I prefer accelerated taper. You know - normal taper for a marathon is three weeks. Since this is Half, I'll accelerate the process and do it in three days. (Hoo boy.)

After my run tonight, I'll need to get to some important tasks - like a Half Marathon play list. I had one, but I've not been having the best luck with mp3 players made by the company that named themselves after the Beatles' recording studio (despite what the official story is, they *did* get sued for copyright infringement). In the past three months I've been through two 3rd generation Shuffles and 3 5th generation Nanos. I'll take responsibility for the shuffles - one was a straight out loss. But these Nanos? I've had two where the lock buttons stick in the "lock" position (meaning you can't even turn the things on and off), and the third one (which I've had for all of 2 days) does nothing but reboot. The Apple Genius Bar and I are becoming BFFs, and I'm starting to get perturbed. Anyone else having these problems?

Oh well. Enough ranting for a while. I've got an appointment at the Genius Bar I need to get to.....

13 comments:

  1. I think those fruity devices have some built-in obsolescence in them. I think mine is dead, too. Definitely look for me Sunday -- I know a ton of people doing that race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenn,
    So, you are on the count down to Surf City! That is pretty exciting..Do you get nervous before races? I still get butterflies before a race:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen with my Nano a few times. I think you can google that for instructions on how to fix it (a combination of a few hold done buttons, I believe). Nevertheless, that's so exciting about your race - it's been on my list for long time but sells out so quickly. One day!! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my shuffle for almost 2 years and still no problem (fingers crossed). Good luck at the Genius Bar! I finished putting together my playlist and it includes a lot of house music which pumps me up! I'm so excited! My bib # is 14,000. See you there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the clipon shuffle. Can't wait to read the race report, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about too many problems with those things so I've gone over to Sansa. No problems yet.

    What are your half goals/plans? You are running well lately, I think you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents are bffs with the genius bar and basically the whole staff at our local apple store because they are always in there asking questions or getting something fixed. I have a shuffle and I haven't had any problems with it. That stinks! Good luck this weekend! Hope the mini taper works! Can't believe SUrf City is this weekend...kinda snuck up on me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please share your half marathon play list, I need ideas! Hey, I like the comment you left but since when has a 44 year old dorky kindergarten teacher been able to confuse a smarty pants scientist? I think you just wanted to make me laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Other than the drop behind the stove, my shuffle has worked just fine, but I do know that the music devices from "the company that shall not be named" are pretty sensitive to moisture, so when you run, is the device dry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three day taper? Why bother! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I carry a Creative labs Zen and have had not one problem with it for 2 years now. Sometimes they just act up. I originally purchased a Dell Dj and ended up throwing in the lake, literally. Best Wishes on Sunday Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess I've been lucky with my Nano, but I actually prefer my Rio Cali since I can also listen to the radio and it has a decent attenae.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so call me ancient... but this is kind of why i don't deal w/ mp3's. i'm too lazy to upload music on them and then when they start acting the least bit moody - forget it! i know, shunning technology is really going to help me get ahead in life ;)

    5 ipods of sorts in 3 months... you are destructive! remind me not to loan you anything.... enjoy your short & sweet taper! at least you shouldn't have time to go crazy, other than the apple issues.

    ReplyDelete