Friday, February 5, 2010

Winding Down to Race Day

Well - I guess it's time for my inaugural race for 2010. I haven't run a race since mid December - and even that one was on a whim. In the past, I have always run at least a race a month. While most of the country shuts down outdoor activity for snow and cold, our race season is in full swing.

But, I am noticing a big difference this year. In the past, races were motivation to push through the miles. It was the thought of an upcoming race that got me out the door. This year though, I am honestly and truly enjoying the training (well - maybe except for those 20 milers). In fact, the thought of fighting traffic and parking to run with 20,000 of my close friends at Surf City and L.A. Marathon is not all that appealing. Maybe it's that my drawers are bulging with race shirts. Maybe I'm tired of fighting crowds and traffic. Maybe it's just that I'm just enjoying getting out and being active.

Speaking of training - I whipped out five easy miles yesterday at a 9:16 pace. Average heart rate was 77% of max. I guess I've come a long way since I rolled off the couch a couple years ago.....

12 comments:

  1. I really have been feeling the same way - I want to love each mile because I want to run not because I am racing or what not. Hope you do have a good time at the race Sunday! At least its supposed to be sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE come so far, Glenn. :) Very awesome that you are loving running so much and just relishing the training. You're such a rockstar!

    Have a great time on Sunday! Kick asphalt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little known fact: "Glenn Jones and my mom went to prom together!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you're enjoying the training so much! All of the training will pay off this weekend. Good luck and have an excellent time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been getting the same feeling, I think I enjoy smaller races/marathons a lot more. I guess I don't have the feeling abour running though, it's okay but don't really enjoy it.

    You've come a long way, good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have come so far!! Wow that is a great pace! I'll keep an eye out for you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Glenn,
    I love getting out there and training too! It is a time to release stress and it gives me a great opportunity to think and reflect:) Good job with all of your training! I am so in awe of your determination and wonderful attitude! Good luck my blogger friend:) Have a great race and remember to have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog from AZ's. Hope you have a good race.
    Here's a blog/blogger you will like: 12months12races.blogspot. Great guy - we both ran Napa and Santa Barbara, and will run LA. Maybe we'll see you there.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck this weekend, Glenn! I hope you have a great race and a very good time. Enjoy, and I look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, here we go, back to the raincoat issue! What are you going to do? Trash bag or trench coat? Hood or hat? Galoshes or Addidas? Have an awesome race, Glenn! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you. It's not really the races that motivate me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i feel similarly sometimes about races sometimes... do i really want to go? ohh the hassle of driving there, parking, finding my stuff, warming up... but it feels good to cross that finish line ya know!

    good luck tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete