Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm Taking the Leap

So, it was less than one week ago that I saw my first trail rac/ultra up close and personal. Now I are one! I took the leap yesterday and signed up for my first trail race, the Winter Trail Run Series 21K. The race will be in the same mountains that last week's race but we'll be doing the easy version. The start line is at the top of the mountain. We run down into a canyon and then back up to the finish:
We'll have about 3500' of elevation gain. I'm glad I've been doing hills every now and then:


There could be a couple of hitches too. Old man winter is making another appearance. There is a 70% chance of rain staring tomorrow evening. The National Weather Service is saying moderate rain is likely. Luckily we'll be about a thousand feet too low for snow. I'm not sure that my road shoes will have enough traction on wet muddy trails. I'll be grabbing some trail shoes today. And I'll need to figure out how to keep my iPod dry. {{Goosebumps!!}}

On the training plate, I rowed a 10 kilometer piece last night on my ergometer. I kept things nice and easy, maintaining a heart rate right around 65% of max for almost 50 minutes. Boy - my arms are tired today! T minus 31 days to the L.A. Marathon!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Glenn,
    Wow, you signed up for a challenging trail run!! Good for you! That sounds pretty exciting and it will be good for you to experience a winter trail run! I can't wait to see how it goes for you:) Have a great day Glenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love trail running/racing - it is just an amazing experience out there! What I particularly like is that you don't race against a clock because every trail is different and evey course has it own challenges; you're just free to run and explore. Good luck, can't wait to hear about it! LA is fast approaching, too....very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrap your ipod inside of a plastic bag and then put into a neoprene case. Should be good to go.
    Have a great race; I'm very envious as it looks very fun and challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still seriously considering this race. The rain is the big factor. Right now. Also it is about an hour from my house. Hmmmmm........ it sure would be fun though.

    I hope to see you there. If not, good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Glenn! Can't wait to hear/read about the experience. Be mindful roots, rocks or branches. You wouldn't want to sprain or turn an ankle this close to LA. Have fun though. Should be a blast and challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Glenn...You will do just fine! Hope the rain stays away for you.
    Looking forward to the race report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rain!? Again?!?
    Your trail run looks challenging, what a fun experience. My ipod is on my arm in a pouch, it stays dry that way. Have you seen those arm/velcro pouches? I think BS bought mine for me at Sport's Authority!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So exciting Glenn! I like how you are starting at the top of the mountain! Although I think I would rather climb first then run downhill! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks like quite the challenge... But if anyone can do it, you would be the one!

    PS
    I've tagged you on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD LORD! That run looks amazing. ANd by that, I mean terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to you Glenn sure to be a memorable run

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just looking at that profile makes me curl up into the fetal position.

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg I'm having flash backs to the wild west relay and it's horrendous elevation [shudders]. Best of luck Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Glen go!!! You will have a great time. Consider coming out to this group run, I keep meaning to join I think I finally will.

    http://www.socaltrailheadz.org/

    - Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trailheadz are a great group! they will be there Saturday to support their members. Come to a new members run!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good LORD that looks tough. but it will be fun i am sure!

    um. old man winter does not = rain... just sayin' ;)

    good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That *is* a big leap. I hope you fall in love with the trails...which can be very different from road races.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now those are some hills! Looks like that will be a pretty race, Glenn. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck that looks like a mega race!

    ReplyDelete