Monday, April 5, 2010

Motivation Motivation Motiv Mo….

Not really. It’s not *that* bad yet. I did finish week zero on my recovery plan yesterday. 30 minute tempo run worth 3.3 miles to finish out the week at 12.3 miles. Was it “fun”? Well, I’ll put it this way – at least I didn’t need to force myself out of the door.

Not to say that I wasn’t delayed. Just as I had picked up my bag and was getting into my car, the earth moved under my feet! EARTHQUAKE!!!! Rock n’ roll! Woo hoo! No worries. Everything is fine in the Jones house. We were about 150 miles or so from the epicenter, so while the rocking was severe, it wasn’t catastrophic. It was more like being on a large ship on rough seas. The chandeliers were swinging like grandfather clock pendulums, and a couple things fell from shelves, but all of my San Diego friends had it a whole lot worse.

I know I’ll hear from a lot of folks that we can have our earthquakes. To be honest with you, I’ll take them. The problem with most natural disasters is you know they are coming. The anticipation is more often worse than the event itself. With an earthquake, it’s here. No announcement. Then, most of the time, it’s over before you realize what’s happening (yesterday was a little different – we probably experienced 15 to 20 seconds of severe shaking). The biggest difference is that we need to be prepared *before* a quake hits. We can’t wait until the NWS tell us that an event is imminent before we stock up on water and batteries. For the most part, we are built to withstand events like yesterday’s. Anyone who lives through a hurricane in the Southeast or a tornado in the Midwest suffers much greater damage than we do in all but the most severe quakes. And to put things in perspective, yesterday’s quake was larger than the quake that ravaged Haiti.

So, now that that is over, I’ll be back on the trails today. This week’s plan:

  • Monday: 3 easy miles. Some stretching and core work afterwards.
  • Tuesday: Back to the track for the first time in a while. 1 mile warm up, 4X400 intervals at 10K pace with 400 rest, 1 mile warm down for a total of 4 miles
  • Wednesday: Erg 30 minutes. Some stretching and core work afterwards
  • Thursday: Mile repeats. 1 mile warm up, 3 X 1600 with 400 rest at HM pace.1 mile warm down for a total of 6.75 miles.
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 7 easy miles
  • Sunday: 30 minute tempo *or* 30 minute erg. My choice.
  • Total: 27.75 miles or thereabouts

Now, just repeat after me. Mojo. Mojo. Mojo…..

13 comments:

  1. Your plan for the week looks good! Have your thought about doing the Malibu Xterra race? BS is tackling it, but I guess it might be too soon for you? Recovery can't be rushed, right?
    So glad you survived the roller coaster quake yesterday, it felt surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mojo, Mojo, Mojo! Glad you did not suffer to much in your Big ship at the rough seas earthquake. Motivation is something else. Finding it is better than being burnt out. lol. Glad to see you are getting back into the swing of things. Looks like a great week ahead of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good plan for the week, I myself really need to get back into the habit of hitting the erg.

    And glad to know the earth quake didn't do you any harm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am unfortunately in the same lack-of-motivation boat with you. I went out for a run this weekend and did not do well at all. Plus, it is weird that you felt that quake because I did not. I was having a bite to eat shortly after it happened and I learned about it from the special report on TV. I must have been at one of those spots that were not affected.

    Let's get back out there and have a great week of running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you and your family are ok. See I didnt go to the gym this morning, so I didnt see the news so I didnt know about the earthquake so Im behind. Hope you have a good track workout tomorrow with those 400s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see someone else rededicated to the erg. I'm also with you on running for weight loss. I can't take my current condition anymore!

    We dodge a good one yesterday, I think. I'm redecorating so pictures, candles, books and lamps don't go flying the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you back to training for a race???

    That earthquake was pretty amazing-I knew it was a big one if I felt it!!

    Glad you got some recovery runs in and have started back at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My earthquake preparedness kit is always well stocked, never a shortage of M&Ms, Hershey's Kisses and other assorted candy. Can trade for water like prisoners do with cigarettes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in Borreggo Springs with family when the earthquake struck, but we were on a hike so we missed it. I don't know maybe being on dirt roads makes the shaking less violent? Anyways, I feel for you, sometimes I literally have to make myself move my legs to get out the door. I always think of how I feel afterward though and it helps me get going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The end of your post shows you are doing the MED2010 also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing week zero, my friend! ::cheers::

    I agree that I'll take earthquakes over the other natural disaster options any day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry about that earthquake. sometimes i get excited and start moving around in my fatness ;)

    glad nothing bad happened and hope your mojo is finding its way back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're feeling a bit better.

    I was in phoenix during the earthquake and water splashed out of pools! Of course, the crappy thing is that I was driving at the time so I didn't even feel it! :(

    ReplyDelete