Friday, April 23, 2010

Trying to Get a Streak Going

Mother Nature tried to conspire against me yesterday*. Just as I headed out the door for my afternoon run, the skies opened up. Again. Seems like we are caught in a series of winter storms that is more typical of February. The temperatures are in the low/mid 50’s. There’s even snow falling in the local mountains.

So – what did I do? Go out and brave the cold and rain? Heck no! I went home and considered the rowing machine. Then I watched some NCIS reruns (does anyone else remember a young David McCallum on the Man from UNCLE?). Then I cooked dinner. You get the idea here.

Imagine my shock and surprise when I looked outside a little after 6 o’clock and noticed this yellowish disc in the sky**. And no clouds. So I laced up my shoes and headed out the door for my scheduled interval workout – one mile warm up, 3 X 1600 w/ 250 active rest, one mile warm down for a total of 5.75 miles (not the 6.75 that I had on the original plan - my math skills seem to be questionable these days).

Shocking. Absolutely shocking:

  • Interval 1: 8:20
  • Interval 2: 8:19
  • Interval 3: 8:30

No. Not the times. The fact that I could string three miles together without (a) having to crawl the last 400 of each interval, and (b) collapsing in a heap somewhere in the first interval. To say I was sucking some serious wind would have been an understatement – heck – even *I* could hear myself coming.

I’m paying for it this morning though. I’m in some serious pain. Quads, lower abs. You know – the good stuff that tells you that you had a killer workout. I’m also paying for it on the scale too. I drank at least a gallon of water last night, and I’m still sucking down the liquids this morning. 223.4. That’s plus 3.2 pounds from last week. And I know I’m running about 400 calorie deficit per day, so I’m taking it all in stride (although I am preparing the noose for next week though).

* I was actually crossing my fingers. Have I told you my motivation is at an all time low?

** Damn you Mother Nature!!!!!

17 comments:

  1. It seems like my work schedule has been working in my favor lately because by the time I get home, the weather has consistently been clear.

    Congratulations on stringing those miles together WITH the impressive times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My math skills have always been questionable: 1600s, 800s, WHAT does it all MMMEEEAAANNN?!?! (Math-wise).

    Anyway, good job getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to read that you seem to be getting into a running routine again. Nice work getting out there and getting it done! As you say, if you create a caloric deficit, the weight will come off (eventually!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the run. Good times too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep hanging in there. It'll all come around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't even get me started on the weather. Not the best for running in the desert of late. Thanks for sending it to us! Our Mts. even have fresh snow after yesterday and last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Glenn,
    You are funny... temps are in the 50's and you must brave the cold:) Welcome to my world!

    Nice work on your run! You were running pretty darn fast:) Keep it up...maybe all of your hard work on the track is paying off! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are some pretty darn good mile splits glenn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How insane was that sudden appearance of the sun?! Way to cool! I was so happy! I bundled up anyways, but loved each minute! Great times :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. be gentle on mother nature, she's struggling :) but hey congratulations on those miles! Wow, you're one speedy gonzalez!!

    We'll have all these hanging baggages, extra protein and lard out of our body in no time.. you're on a routine, on a route!

    Lets do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you shouldn't do your weigh ins on the same day each week, rather after whatever is a day off in that week, let your body drain a bit. Clearly the weight gain today was from all that water last night, from the running last night, so it's not realistic.

    For being unmotivated, you sure are doing some serious running. Good job!!! or Are you some kind of masochist?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, that's impressive! I was just wondering about intervals. My wife is pretty concerned, because she still has not done ANY intervals or hills, and the SF marathon is coming up quickly! Can you do intervals on a treadmill (dreadmill)? To some extent, it seems like it would be easier, or convenient, no? Anyways, I'm reposting my latest blog post. What incline on a treadmill is sort of equivalent to running outside on streets? Congrats on the great work.. you keep me motivated (just not today) =(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes shocking can be good!

    Nice work - keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This may be a stupid question, but when what does it mean to do 3 X 1600? I know that going around a track four times equals 1600 but being outside how do you tell? Do you have a watch or something that tells you you've gone 1600m?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you all speedy!! Great job! Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice work, those are really consistant paces!

    I'm always amazed at how much weight you gain with water. 8 lbs per gallon I suppose!

    ReplyDelete