Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Recovery Step One

Post marathon recovery is getting off the tarmac. I’ve been going through some interesting mental games. At least that’s what I think is happening. For example, I made it out the door late in the afternoon yesterday for my scheduled 3 mile run. As I laced my shoes, everything was hurting. Knees. Hips. Quads. Psyche.

The onshores were blowing something fierce, so I ran “backwards” – toward the ocean on my way out so the wind would be at my back on the return (see, I *am* as smart as a family pet). What happened next has left me a little befuddled. An effortless run. Jeff Beck on the iPod. No pain. Not breathing real hard. Easy three miles at an average pace of 9:16, which included a hill climb at the end. Go figure. I’m calling mental thing here….

Today I’ll hit the track for 16 or so circles…..

8 comments:

  1. Aw, congratulations on the effortless run yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to love the mental games!!! Yay for an effortless run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the run went well Glenn! Hope you have fun at the track tonight! Im totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like having the wind at my back, too. Great idea.

    Thanks so much for your comment. I really like the idea of the "victory lap" and am going to use that. I'm not quitting. No way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I might not be one to practice it but I do think taking time off after marathons is a good idea. Seems yours is going well, glad it is feeling good again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're going to get blown into the ocean, maybe that's a sign you need to tackle a tri next??!!?? Hehe. My whole life with running is a mental game, glad to know I have a kindred spirit joining me!! Enjoy the day, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See you are back in the loop! It happened so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well glad you had a good run to re-boost your confidence! Mental drain is no fun. I swear I've been struggling some serious mental demons since last summer/fall :-/ (that or I have some issues going on mentally, lol). Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete