Monday, April 26, 2010

Recovered?

It took five weeks, but with yesterday’s 40 minute/4.5 mile tempo run, I hit 30 miles for the week. I’ve got to admit that 3.8 of those were done on the rowing machine, but the rest were done on my feet.

This week will wrap up the final week on my Higdon Advanced Recovery plan:

  • Monday: 45 minutes erg. Somewhere around 5 miles (in lieu of 5 mile GA run).
  • Tuesday: Intervals with Cal Coast. Somewhere around 5 miles.
  • Wednesday: 45 minutes erg. Somewhere around 5 miles (in lieu of 5 mile GA run).
  • Thursday: 6 mile general aerobic run
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 9 mile general aerobic run
  • Sunday: 3 mile general aerobic run (in lieu of 5K race)
  • Total: Around 33 miles

To be honest, I don’t feel like I’m recovered yet. I feel much heavier on my feet, and little pains still abound. I’ll put my nose to the grindstone and keep things moving. Hopefully the motion is forward and not sideways.

Part of my lack of motivation is no doubt related to the lack of any short term goals. I only have one race on my schedule – the San Diego RnR Marathon Relay – and as long as I can be competitive at the 10K distance I’ll be fine. Don’t get me wrong – I’m really looking forward to the event – I have several friends and family for who this will be their first 26 mile experience. I’m planning on being a one man cheering section – out on the course three or four times running people in and providing whatever moral support I can. But other than that, I don’t really have any firm plans. And where there aren’t goals and plans there is only ambiguity and confusion.

Time to move on. Time to choose a training regimen. Time to get a few goal races on the schedule. Time to get the show on the road. Remember folks – never confuse motion with progress.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on your recovery progress. You're way ahead of me, for what that's worth. "Don't confuse motion with progress" - so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, "Don't confuse motion with progress."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your training scedule make me so impressed! All these intervals... Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, this looks like progress to me! Even if it is still sometimes a struggle, you seem to be getting back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job with your recovery, Glenn! It sounds like you have a very good awareness for where you are at, and I think that will play a key role in making sure the progress is going forward and not sideways. Keep up the good work, and much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great! The human body is so complex, honestly it still confuses me! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're feeling better Glenn. I know that if I don't have a race on my schedule that I just flail. I don't know what I'm going to do after San Diego RnR...Maybe this is the year I do Long Beach...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's true, nothing motivates like having a race on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glenn...you were going to add some strength training to your lineup...have you done that? How has that been going?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job this week! I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Hopefully you'll be entirely recovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, time so set some serious goals, Glenn! Long Beach? San Francisco?

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol - "don't confuse motion with progress" all too true.

    get some races on the schedule - even if they are just for fun and not for pr! i think you are just still in some post-race funk from LA? for me the best way to get out of that is to get in some more races.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't have a full-length marathon on your horizon!? Say it ain't so! Glenn, it's totally fine to not have one. Hell, that's the way I've been for months! :-) I'd just take it easy and enjoy yourself and your runs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed that you can keep focused on your training without having an actual goal race on the horizon. I lose my motivation VERY fast when I don't know "what's next!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't remember htat you were running RNR SD. I'm going to need you cheering for me as I'll be running on a solid 8 weeks worth of training. eek

    ReplyDelete