Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Fooled the Old Brain Yesterday!

It all started back in late March. A sit down at mile 22 of the L.A. Marathon. Fatigue post race. Then days turned into weeks turned into months of burnout. Of making excuses to not run. Of me convincing myself that it would be okay to skip a run here and there.

Well, last night, for the first time in a while, I felt a twinge of guilt as I sat on the couch. I had been home for an hour and a half, when the intent was to just drop by, change clothes and head out the door. Finally, as In Plain Sight came on the USA Network, the guilt overwhelmed me, and I scooted out the door and over to Crystal Cove.

I put in an easy easy four miles (average pace – 10:06, average heart rate – 73% of max). The only reason my heart rate was that high was the hill that I climbed leaving the Shake Shack (this picture from last Christmas).

4167652055_1f0fdb192e_o

I grabbed some dinner and then hit my exercise mat for a resistance workout*. In addition to the old stability exercises, on tap were four new exercises:

Box Lunge: This exercise trains the hip abductors to maintain stability when single leg movement. It involves standing on a box and  taking a large step forward, landing on the floor, and then driving the leg back to the start position. Then repeat for the other leg. Complete 8 to 12 repetitions.

image

(Note: I didn’t have a box that would remain planted on the floor, so I just did a set of lunges)

Stability Ball Leg Curl: This exercise is supposed to train the deep abs to maintain stability while the buttocks and hamstrings generate backwards thrust. All I know is they were T  O  U  G  H  and they H  U  R  T! Lie face up and place your heels on a stability ball. Contract your buttocks and hamstrings and roll the ball toward your butt. Roll the ball back. Repeat eight to twelve times.

image

Forearms to Palms Bridge: Another exercise to help maintain pelvic stability while performing alternating arm movements. Start in a plank position. Move from plank position to push up position. Reverse the motion. Repeat four to ten times.

image

Dead bug: Another exercise to train the deep abs to maintain stability during alternating arm/leg movement. Lie flat on the floor, extending one arm above the head. Bring the opposite knee up to your chest. Extend the other arm toward your toe, and the opposite leg down and slightly off the floor. Then, drawing your navel toward your spine (to engage the deep abs), reverse the position of your arms and legs for 20 to 30 seconds.

image

All this while watching Family Guy and Spaceballs. It was a great Wednesday evening.

* Note: I had to sack the split leg jumps. My quads are *very* tired from miles and from a little hill climb I did on Saturday.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good workout. I'm intrigued by the Stability Ball Leg Curl exercise. Have to give that one a try. I haven't found many effective exercises with the stability ball (probably more a function of how I'm doing them than the ball itself), but that looks like it might work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the shake shack and I know that hill. One of these days I am going to get up early enough on the appointed day and reserve one of those cottages...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenn,
    Way to get yourself out on an easy run! We all go through burnout at different times...it is just a phase but it sounds like you are turning the corner.

    I have got to get me one of those stability balls! It has been on my wish list for sometime:)

    Take care Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those first steps are the hardest, yet look how much you did! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to get off the couch, dude! It feels so good to watch tv while or after doing something productive... can't beat family guy and spaceballs while doing a workout. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job getting out there! Those resistance exercises look great and tough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so good, Glenn, for doing all those exercises in the book. I do them, but not regularly, and not where I should be doing them. I do the "glute bridges" frequently b/c I overheard a trainer at the gym say they were excellent for glute and hamstring strength....two of my weaknesses. Well, right now I have a billion weaknesses, but those two are at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Wednesday!!!! Does the Shake Shack have yummy chocolate shakes? I LOVE chocolate shakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those stability ball exercises!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NICE! Great workout! Definitely will help out with running - I need one of those stability balls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait until my brain and I are in synch again. This was motivating, Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've done that leg ball curl thing. It is pretty tough. Good exercise though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been forcing myself to get out for the easier runs, sometimes they are the hardest because I tired and sore but I NEVER regret doing them. In fact, after Wednesday night, I felt more confidence because I never thought I could pull it off. This coaching thing is giving me a lot more confidence!
    Great job with the strengthening exercises. The box lunge going up is a good one too, with weights!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. loved the good news about running-desire coming back :) and i really like these strengthening exercises you share! they look so easy... but i know they aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I'm the only one who noticed...
    In the 4th exercise, it says to extend one arm above your head and bring the opposite knee to your chest. However, in both photos, the guy is bringing the knee on the same side to his chest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great in those pictures. :) I should do more strength exercises and sometimes actually do while in front of the TV. Not very often but sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a stability ball at home and I definitely love the leg curl for toning hamstrings! The forearm to palms bridge (or as I call it, the walking pushup) is great for working the chest too.

    And the dead bug reminds me of the bicycle/criss-cross -- now that definitely burns the core!

    PS hilarious my confirmation word is "saddly" -- another reminder I gotta work on my obliques to keep the saddlebags & love handles at bay!

    ReplyDelete