Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Making a Few Adjustments

So now that things seem to be on track, I need to make a couple adjustments to the program.

Training Volume: This past week has reminded me just how tough consistent 40 plus mile weeks are for me. My right knee is starting to flare, my body is sore, and I have been in a constant state of fatigue. Since I have no marathon in the foreseeable future, I am thinking about cutting back *just* a tad so I don’t run the risk of injury in the coming weeks. My thought is to try to maintain a steady 40 miles per week with long runs in the 14 to 16 mile range. AND to take an extra rest day every week. I *really* *really* want to get to the point where a 16 miler is not a problem. Once I’m there, then running a 20 miler (or even further) will be that much easier.

Calorie Expenditure: So, I’m sitting here two weeks after starting the pain called calorie tracking. I’m at the same weight I was last week. And that is after gaining a couple of pounds last week. That can only mean two things – my intake is too high and/or my burn is too low. And, since I can’t physically put more hours into my workout day (there just aren’t any left), that means I’m just going to have to throttle down the intake.

Soooooo…. Here’s the plan for this week:

  • Monday: Off the erg and extra rest day
  • Tuesday: HIlls with Cal Coast in Shady Canyon. 6 miles or so.
  • Wednesday: Four easy miles. Resistance workout consisting of 1 sets each of single leg squat, oblique bridge, lying draw in, quadruped, split squat jump and 2 sets each of box lunge, stability ball leg curl, forearms to palm bridge, dead bug.
  • Thursday: 8 miles on the trails of Laguna Coast
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 17 miles long run.
  • Sunday: 8 miles easy. Resistance workout consisting of 1 sets each of single leg squat, oblique bridge, lying draw in, quadruped, split squat jump and 2 sets each of box lunge, stability ball leg curl, forearms to palm bridge, dead bug.
  • Total: 43 miles

Also, I am dropping my BMR calorie allowance from 2012 to 1762 – as defined by my calorie tracking program, LoseIt!, on my iPhone. Time to get the show on the road!

15 comments:

  1. If you gained in week 1 and where flat in week 2 against the same amount of exercise, it could have been that your body was conserving due to the shock to the system of less calories/more activity. You should stay on course and see what happens this week maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An extra rest day is a very good idea. I was going to suggest doubling up running and your resistance workouts, but you're doing that already.

    You're not doing the SF Half?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Patrick -- sometimes you don't lose because you're eating too little or exercise way too much. Unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throttling back is a good idea, especially if your body is telling you to. Don't forget that muscle weighs more, so if you are getting stronger, you may not be getting lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but do you feel and look leaner? I never trust scales as much as I do a mirror or waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in the calorie counting. I hate doing that! I used to be compulsive about it, and it was the worst. Nowadays I sort of "eyeball" it, and it mostly seems to work fine. But yes, definitely go to Little Tokyo! I had no idea you were of Japanese heritage... wish I was. It's such a neat culture (and great food too... vegan or not!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a handle on what you need to do to prevent injury and get the weight off. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 40 miles is a lot to maintain...hope this new system will work for you and keep your knees feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scale may not be the best source to how healthy or fit you are. Taking time off is never a bad thing - I know you know this already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something that's been helping me lose weight is once a week, I eat a bunch of popcorn and watch a movie, then right before bed time, I drink about 6 oz. of mineral water. Everything but volcanic ash in the morning. Seriously, I don't know about the weight issue. I have been hammering the core training and that has helped out a lot. Best wishes on your 17 miler man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who has battled the scale most of her adult life, this is what I know.

    1. When I eat is almost as important as how much. If I eat after 6pm, I gain weight even IF I've only consumed 1000 calories for the whole day.

    2. Avoiding white foods is key (bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes, rice)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you're keeping your mileage so high while you're not training. I would be burnt out for sure. My happy range is probably 25-35 if I'm not working at something. Every "body" really is different I guess. :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. i (still) need to get back in a steady habit of using LoseIt/tracking in general... i tend to estimate (in my favor, of course) or pretend that things had 0 calories (like a handful of m&m's). not quite the way to a smaller waistline! it can be frustrating to not see movement on the scale, but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That seems like a REALLY good plan. Sometimes less is more....which is more...so that you can weigh less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That seems like a REALLY good plan. Sometimes less is more....which is more...so that you can weigh less. :)

    ReplyDelete