So now that things seem to be on track, I need to make a couple adjustments to the program.
Training Volume: This past week has reminded me just how tough consistent 40 plus mile weeks are for me. My right knee is starting to flare, my body is sore, and I have been in a constant state of fatigue. Since I have no marathon in the foreseeable future, I am thinking about cutting back *just* a tad so I don’t run the risk of injury in the coming weeks. My thought is to try to maintain a steady 40 miles per week with long runs in the 14 to 16 mile range. AND to take an extra rest day every week. I *really* *really* want to get to the point where a 16 miler is not a problem. Once I’m there, then running a 20 miler (or even further) will be that much easier.
Calorie Expenditure: So, I’m sitting here two weeks after starting the pain called calorie tracking. I’m at the same weight I was last week. And that is after gaining a couple of pounds last week. That can only mean two things – my intake is too high and/or my burn is too low. And, since I can’t physically put more hours into my workout day (there just aren’t any left), that means I’m just going to have to throttle down the intake.
Soooooo…. Here’s the plan for this week:
- Monday: Off the erg and extra rest day
- Tuesday: HIlls with Cal Coast in Shady Canyon. 6 miles or so.
- Wednesday: Four easy miles. Resistance workout consisting of 1 sets each of single leg squat, oblique bridge, lying draw in, quadruped, split squat jump and 2 sets each of box lunge, stability ball leg curl, forearms to palm bridge, dead bug.
- Thursday: 8 miles on the trails of Laguna Coast
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday: 17 miles long run.
- Sunday: 8 miles easy. Resistance workout consisting of 1 sets each of single leg squat, oblique bridge, lying draw in, quadruped, split squat jump and 2 sets each of box lunge, stability ball leg curl, forearms to palm bridge, dead bug.
- Total: 43 miles
Also, I am dropping my BMR calorie allowance from 2012 to 1762 – as defined by my calorie tracking program, LoseIt!, on my iPhone. Time to get the show on the road!