Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bad Doggie!

That's what my master would be telling me today. Yup. I just couldn't force myself out the door last night. I had a long day at work. Didn't get out of the office until after 6:30 (I got to work before 7 AM). The weatherman was right - a storm had blown through and the winds were howling. Gale force I'm sure. There were white caps on the back bay. Temperatures were dropping. By the time I got out to my car it was easily in the mid 50's. I had packed an Under Armor in anticipation, but that wasn't stopping the chill blowing through me. It reminded me of the first time I ever stepped the curbside at O'Hare in January many years ago. Brrr.

I remembered how nice it felt to run on Tuesday with no pain and no fatigue. So, I twisted my arm up behind my back and got my hand between my shoulders. In no time I was crying Uncle and climbed back into my car. Whew that was close!

Actually, I do feel a *little* guilty about taking a day off, but with the wind and the cold and the lateness of the day, I just did not feel like running was something I wanted to do. Plus, at this point, an extra day of rest isn't going to hurt. Let's call it a step back week.

Today I will make it out the door for a six mile easy run. The winds have died down and we are on a warming trend starting today. In fact, temperatures are forecast to be in the 90s by this weekend! Woo hoo!

6 comments:

  1. It was cold as sin last night! What's up with THAT? I did the same thing on Tuesday night...wouldn't go out to run in the cold (even though our cold isn't really cold).

    It's OK to take a day off. You're right, the extra day of rest won't hurt...in fact, it might help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you feel after taking a day off?? I get very moody when I do-- Stop by my blog and discuss it if you get a chance-- trying to see if other people suffer from "runner's withdrawl"

    http://patricktaneyrunning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy weather! Today was beautiful so I hope you were able to get out on that run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swam in that weather. I can tell you getting out of the lake was not fun. It's a good thing you stopped, you could have hurt yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i totally sympathize on both sides... hope you're not feeling too guilty though, i'm sure the day off was still good for you and the legs.

    ReplyDelete