Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Schedule Shuffling

Well, I didn't make it back last night in time to catch my brethren on the track, so I'm going to need to shuffle my schedule around this week:

Today: 6 miles easy. Gym for stretching and core work.
Thursday: 60 min tempo run
Friday: 6 miles recovery. Gym for stretching and core work
Saturday: 12 mile long run.
Sunday: 6 mile recovery

This schedule maintains my training volume, which I think is the most important aspect of my training at this point - less than 2 weeks from my goal half marathon. In fact, for most folks out there, training volume really will do more to allow us to run faster than all the speed work in the world. I am quite amused by the people running 15 to 20 miles per week who think that they will run a faster half marathon times by introducing speed work. The #1 factor in our ability to run further faster is aerobic conditioning. We don't get aerobically fit by introducing anaerobic activities.

Since I'm not taking Friday off, I will end up running 9 days in a row. I'm not too worried because next week is really more of a mini-taper week:

Monday: 4 miles easy
Tuesday: Intervals - 6 miles total
Wednesday: 4 mile recovery
Thursday: 3 miles easy
Friday, Saturday: Scheduled rest
Sunday: PCRF Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon

Then, I'm going to rest. I think I'll take a few days off before starting up again. How many? I'm not sure. At least two, possibly as many as 5 or 6. Then, I want to build more volume. I'm averaging 30-32 miles per week right now. I'd like to get to where I am in the low 40's as my base. When I get there, I'll start thinking marathon.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right. I think a lot of people add in speedwork without a good mileage base and they get injured. Although I'm killing the 5K's (relatively speaking), I don't think I could beat my half marathon PR right now. I'm confident that when I up my mileage, though, that the speedwork will pay off.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a well thought out plan. you've been consistent and smart this whole time about your training, and i'm certainly not doubting you now. :) post-race, i'm sure you'll figure quickly out how many days of rest you want before you are back out there logging a couple light weeks. let's be real, it won't be that long! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you guys recommend who many LD runs before a tempo workout? I am relatively new to the running thing. I am running an average of 20-25 miles per week-- If I want to increase speed when and how do I include tempo training? Is it too early? (been running for about 3 months) Last 5K time: 23:20.. Currenty training for a half marathon, would like to finish that in under 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of your dedication to training and your perseverance, I have no doubt you:
    a)know what you're doing; b) will run an awesome half marathon on Sunday; and c)will be so ready to run a marathon after this!

    Hmmm... Cinco de Mayo... do they give you Margaritas at the finish line?

    ReplyDelete