Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tough Twelve

Wow. Yesterday was a tough twelve miles. The weather was perfect (sunny, mid 60's, a slight breeze). Everything started out well. I was keeping my speed down in the 10:20 to 10:30 range (that was tough itself). Everything was going great, right up to mile 10 1/2. All of a sudden the concrete in my legs set and my lower back just went into fatigue mode. Literally, over a quarter mile I went from "All Systems Go" to "Danger Will Robinson!" Breathing and heart rate were just fine - it was the physical systems that went haywire. I really struggled to finish. Final stats - 12 miles, 10:50 average pace at 75% MHR.

After the run, I hit up my training load graph, and sure enough, fatigue is spiking. I'll listen and start reducing my training load over the next week. I'm *not* at all concerned about being able to put in 13.1 miles on race day. I *am* concerned about starting a race when my body is fatigued. Today I'll knock off a couple miles from my planned six mile recovery run. And I'll scale back my modified Higdon Training plan over the next week. I'm coming down the home stretch!

8 comments:

  1. 12 miles at a 10:50 pace is pretty darn good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right on track, Glenn. Sometimes a little rough run at this time in your training cycle is a good wake up call for a proper taper before the race. So, scaling back a bit is probably exactly what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so ready for this HM! Give your body its well-deserved break now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon glenn! You are going to rock the half this weekend! The danger will robinson line cracked me up

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you are feeling better already. take the week easy and rest up for your half! you are gonna rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn,

    I'm just a lurker who enjoys reading your blog (we have very similar age, experience, training paces, etc).

    I would like to predict here publicly (you heard it here first!) that you will break 2 hrs pretty easily in your half.

    Good luck.

    - "Nostradamus" Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, definitely sounds like fatigue! You totally deserve some rest this week. Hope you are getting it!

    ReplyDelete