Monday, April 20, 2009

Week 10 Wrap

Okay folks. Two more weeks left on this training cycle. Despite taking an extra day (or two) off this past week, I still managed over 30 miles. I can thank yesterday's heat charged 12 miles for putting me over the top. It's wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun, but I put 12 miles in to put me at 31.25 miles for the week. Speaking of heat - I downed a total of 100 ounces of liquids just to keep me going.

And wow - talk about heat! The weather forecast had predicted temperatures in the mid 90's yesterday. My plan was to get out of the house early to beat the heat, but I couldn't make it out the door until 8:30. Then, I had to run the San Diego Creek trail away from the coast because the trails around the Back Bay were closed for the Newport Beach Triathlon. By the time I left the car, it was already in the low 80's and it only got warmer. I started with four 10 ounce water bottles . At mile 10, I stopped in a local park and refilled three bottles because I was dry! I downed two of those by the time I got back to the car. At the car I downed two 20 ounce bottles of Gatorade (yes, yes, I carry Gatorade in the car just because). But I felt more or less normal. By the time I got back to my car at 11:15 AM, it was 86 degrees, and I could see the ocean from where I parked! It must have been well over 90 where I was running. Whew! I took my camera and shot some pictures (those for a later date) to force myself to hold the pace down. Probably a smart move.

So, I'm left with two weeks until my goal half marathon (Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation's Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon). I'm actually feeling as good as I've felt in a long time. The extra couple days of rest last week has done wonders - all of my little tweaks and niggles have mysteriously disappeared. I ran my 5K on Saturday and even though I pushed, I felt as if I had something left in the tank afterwards. I am getting excited!

The plan for this week? Well - here we go:

Monday - Scheduled rest day. I am travelling to the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo) for business, so no running today.
Tuesday - Intervals. Somewhere around 6 miles with my club.
Wednesday - 6 recovery miles. Hit the gym for stretching and core work.
Thursday - 60 minute tempo run. Around 6 miles.
Friday - Scheduled rest day.
Saturday - 12 mile long run. Keep it easy.
Sunday - 6 recovery miles. Hit the gym for stretching and core work.

This will put me around 36 miles for the week. I'm looking forward to a final week of pushing before tapering off for my half marathon. Sure hope the weather cooperates!

3 comments:

  1. The heat yesterday was crazy! It got into the mid 90s here (Escondido, which is inland).

    You are going to rock that half marathon! Keep up the great work. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW-- See this is the time I can brag about living in Buffalo :) There's a nice steady breeze, the temps are anywhere between high 50's and the high 60's, It's been a sun filled spring-- 90 degree weather has to be tough-- good job staying strong though.

    I love your training schedule-- I am training for a half Marathon as well-- I am only up to an LD of 8 miles-- The race is at the end of May.

    Are you cutting off at 12? I was told not to run the whole 13.1 until the day of the race... Not sure if thats the best way to go or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "ran" 5 miles in that heat and downed 30oz in an hour.

    I was cheering for my teammates at the Newport Beach Tri!

    ReplyDelete