Sunday, March 22, 2009

One less "2" to deal with

Well, I could have blogged about this earlier this week, but I didn't want to jinx myself. I've been here for a brief time before. And when I was it was a fleeting moment until I injured myself. I am talking about having one less "2" when I step on the scale!

I had been stuck between 220 and 225 pounds for quite a while. It's been pretty discouraging. As much time as I've been spending running and watching my diet, it just seemed like the weight wasn't coming off.

So, when I started this half marathon training cycle, I decided that I was going to concentrate on performance instead of weight loss. I increased my calorie intake to 2600 to 2900 a day, and increased my mileage and intensity. I'm eating a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and an afternoon snack. I'm eating cookies and chips. I'm charting my food to make sure I'm eating enough (In the past, I was more interested in limiting calorie intake). The upshot? I've dropped 7 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I dropped below 220 last weekend, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke. At this point, I'm sitting at 218.5! I've been in this realm before, but it was just before I hurt myself. On that little 2 month hiatus I put all 7 pounds back on - basically because I wasn't watching what I was eating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's amazing how increasing your calories kicked you through a plateau.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Nice job! It's amazing how eating normally really works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the weight loss! That is great. Just proves that counting calories doesn't always work. I like your method of making sure you get enough calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, Glenn! Obviously you have the discipline and found the right balance. Continued success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Glenn! I think you're better off focusing on performance. Generally, when you make sure you've got enough energy for your runs, your workouts are better and the weight comes off as a side effect. Plus, it's more fun that way anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so not fair! but nice job on the weight loss! maybe if i eat even more m&m's i'll start to see a change in the scale... riiiight ;)

    ReplyDelete