Monday, March 2, 2009

Week 2 Down!

Put a wrap on week 2 of this half marathon training cycle! I put in two speed sessions (one interval, one tempo), three easy days, and a long run for a total of 33 miles. I'm a little sore here and there, but I think I'm in relatively good shape to launch into this week.

Yesterday was a short 4 mile recovery run. Unlike last Sunday (the 11:41 disaster), yesterday was more "normal" - 10:30 pace, 74% MHR for the run. I stopped by the local gym to do some stretching and some planks. I was able to pull off about five of them without back pain! I was pleased with the final outcome - both for the day and the week.

Now, please indulge me while I go on a rant. One of the places on the Internet I visit on a daily basis is the Runner's World forums. I usually spend my time in the California Running and Racing Forum, but every now and then I will look at other forums. Sometimes I am absolutely shocked at some of the "advice" being given. I had an especially difficult time a while back in the Weight Loss forum - where one guy was trying to convince everyone it was okay to only eat 900 calories a day. Then, a recent one in the Beginner's Forum had a new runner asking about proper pace for a long run. One person's advice to this runner was to start slow and speed up as he went. In fact, this person went as far as to let this new runner know that when *he* does a long run, he is usually gasping for air by the time he is done! WTF?!?!?! Luckily there were others that stepped in to point this new runner in the proper direction. Folks - please - if you don't know what you are talking about, pick up a book and learn before you start telling others what to do! Jeez!

Okay. I'm off my soapbox. Will be putting in a 4 mile easy run tonight. And, I think I'll hit the gym afterwards for some stretching and core work. This weeks plan:

Monday: 4 mile easy run; stretching and core work at the gym
Tuesday: Intervals! 2 mi wu, 4 X 800 at 10K Pace with 400 rest, 1 mi wd; 6 mi total
Wednesday: 4 mile recovery; stretching and core work at the gym
Thursday: Tempo! 45 minute tempo (about 4.5 miles)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 12 mile long run
Sunday: 4 mile recovery; stretching and core work at the gym

Total planned for the week: 34.5. Man - it's nice to be back on a schedule!

3 comments:

  1. You've got a busy week planned! I'm supposed to do some intervals this week also. I need to research that whole process more, though.

    I've wondered about some of the advice I've seen on those discussion groups, too. I'm new to running but I'm also skeptical about any information that people offer up... unless I know they are qualified to do so.

    Glad you're back into your routine. Have a great week of working out and running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't visited the running forums in a while but I'm not surprised to see bad advice is still being liberally dispensed. Your rant is needed so others -- particularly newbies -- realize everyone's different. So is their advice based on experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad all is well on the running front! i've been annoyed at the rw forums since they re-designed them. half the time pages don't load/don't load properly. that sure sounds like some bad advice though! what are those people thinking?

    ReplyDelete