Monday, March 16, 2009

Whaaa...? Isn't it Recovery Day?

Yesterday I went out for a quick recovery run only to find out that I had a pace run on the schedule! I found myself facing rolling hills and a beautiful view at Crystal Cove. But, as we used to say at Andersen Consulting - "Plan the work and work the plan." So I put my head down and took off on my four mile pace run.

I keep my pace on these runs by glancing at my Garmin every now and then to make sure that I am running in the right pace zone. My Half Marathon pace is set between 9:15 and 10:00 per mile. As long as I stay in that zone, my Garmin is happy and won't beep at me. Yesterday, I only heard one set of beeps - I started a little faster than I should have. I tucked back into the pace zone and finished the run.

I finished up in a little over 38 minutes. I checked out my data and found that my average heart rate was only 78% of MHR at a 9:43 pace. Man - it sure seemed like I was working harder than that!

And so week 5 wraps up. This is the third week in a row over 30 miles (32 miles). I am beginning to feel comfortable with the 30 mile per week base (after not quite two years on my feet) . This week will be another 30 mile plus week:

Monday: 4 mile easy. Hit the gym for stretching and core strengthening.
Tuesday: Whatever the interval Gods have in store. I want to total about 7 miles or so.
Wednesday: 4 mile recovery run. Hit the gym for stretching and core strengthening
Thursday: 45 minute tempo run. Should be around 4.5 miles
Friday: Rest (yay!)
Saturday: 12 mile 3/1.
Sunday: Climb in an aluminum tube and make my way to Michigan.
Total planned: 31.5 miles

After this week, I get a little rest with a 21 mile week. I will have a little travel coming up (going to Grand Rapids, Michigan - any poker nearby?) and the La Habra 10K the following Saturday (3/28). As physically tired as I've been lately, I want to take two days off before the race so that I can perform a little better than just a hard training run. Then, after that, only five more weeks until my goal race - the PCRF Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait until your goal race! :) I think I'm going to try to run that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your training is going really well, Glenn. Sounds like the place you went running was absolutely gorgeous, too. That always helps, and it certainly makes running feel more like play as opposed to work!

    Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great. Um, Grand Rapids? Poker? I think you're a bit mixed up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great! Looks like you have a busy couple weeks ahead of you... keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on this and your last post, I'd say you are recovering very nicely. Keep that momentum through your May half mary.

    ReplyDelete